Jurisdictions around the world differ in their requirements regarding taxes.  Partners are responsible for understanding their tax obligations. Please check with your local authorities for more information about the specific requirements in your area.

Lodging taxes

In some locations, HomeAway has made agreements with government officials to collect and remit certain local taxes on your behalf.

The taxes vary and, depending on the local law, may include calculations based on a flat rate or percentage rate, the number of travelers, number of nights, or property type booked.

When a listing is booked in one of these locations, the local taxes collected will be displayed automatically in the amount to pay and appear on the receipt once the reservation is confirmed.

For more information on Lodging tax click here.


Value Added Tax, or VAT, is a tax assessed on the supply of services. HomeAway is required to collect VAT on its service fees, subscription or booking fees in countries that tax Electronically Supplied Services (“ESS”); currently in Japan, Australia, Norway, Switzerland, and the European Union.

In Japan, Japanese Consumption Tax, or JCT, is applicable instead of VAT. In Australia and New Zealand, Goods and Services Tax, or GST, is applicable instead of VAT. In Québec, Canada, Québec Sales Tax, or QST, is applicable instead of VAT. 

For more information on VAT click here.

Income tax

If you have a listing with us, you will need to provide your taxpayer details to HomeAway. HomeAway is a US company and is required by the US Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to collect taxpayer details from partners who may have US-sourced income.  

Depending on your tax status and other criteria, HomeAway may be required to use the information you provided to prepare a tax form for you. Any required tax forms will be mailed to the address you provided with your taxpayer details.